1) According to Cicero, what are the qualities of Rome?
A: Virtus, imperium, and dignitas.
2) Who were the Romans most fearful of?
A: They were most fearful of the Gauls and the Germans.
3) Why were the Romans afraid of the Gauls?
A: The Gauls defeated them before.
4) What does “Maiestas” mean?
A: The greater-ness.
5) What did Caesar do to the Gauls?
A: He put them to death or into slavery
6) What is the name of the Romans’ God?
7) Why is Jupiter the greatest and best?
A: He makes the Romans healthy and rich.
8) Who was the head of the Roman religion?
9) What are the 3 colleges of priests?
A: The augurs, the pontiffs, and the fifteen men.
10) What was Cicero’s role in the 3 colleges of priests?
A: He was an augur.
11) What is the name of Cleopatra’s father?
A: Ptolemy XII.
12) What is Ptolemy XII known for?
A: He’s known for being a flute-player.
13) How many years younger is Cato than Caesar?
A: 5 years.
14) When was Caesar elected to the counsel?
A: 59 B.C.
15) How did politicians win voters’ support?
A: Through bribes.
16) Name one of the men who Julius asked support from.
17) Who did not look forward to facing Caesar in the election?
18) Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus were dubbed what name by modern critics?
A: Three Headed Monster.
19) Cato emerged as spokesman for the elite at about what age?
A: He was in his sixties.
20) It is said that Caesar wanted to form strong political connections with whom?
A: Powerful but less hostile figures.
21) Caesar was the “Parens Patriae,” which means what in English?
A: Father of His Country.
22) How many consuls are there in a Roman republic?
23) What does “pontifex maximus” mean?
A: Bridge builder.
24) What were portents?
A: Signs of the gods.
25) What term is used to name the phenomena where when one person in an oligarchy is becoming too powerful, the others bring him/her back down?
A: The oligarchic rule.
26) Who is the author of “I Am Caesar?”
A: W. Jeffrey Tatum.
27) What did the Romans use as currency?
A: The sestertius.
28) What is Caesar’s full name?
A: Gaius Julius Caesar.
29) What two classes were the Romans divided into?
A: Plebeians and patricians.
30) Of the two social classes in Rome, which far outnumbered the other?
A: The plebeians far outnumbered the patricians.
31) Who was Caesar’s uncle?
32) What is the powerful group who hated Caesar called?
A: The optimates.
33) What did the chapters of the book originate from?
A: A series of lectures.
34) What did the Knights seek out?
35) What position were the senators voted into?
A: The quaestorship.
36) What is the name of the class after Knights?
A: First Class.
37) What did the Romans prize that allowed their city to function properly without a police force?
38) What’s the word for first impressions?
A: Res Novae.
39) What were Romans dedicated to?
40) Who put their son to death after disobeying the order “that no Roman shall leave their post what so ever?”
41) How long did the magistrates hold office?
A: One Year.
42) What does “Res Republic” Mean?
A: The Public Thing.
43) Lucius Cornelius Scipio is the son of whom?
44) Who delivered the Panegryic at the funeral for Lucius Metellus?
A: Quintus Metellus.
45) Caesar’s aunt Julia was descended on her mother’s side from what?
46) Who was Julia’s mother?
47) What year did Aurelia live in?
A: 54 B.C.