I hope you are all enjoying your 3 day weekend. The questions for Tuesday’s quiz are below. However, please note that Dr. S will only pull 8 questions from this list and create 2 of his own.
1. What sign will Aeneas be given to signal the place for him to found his city?
A: A white sow with thirty new-born pigs.
2. What does Scylla look like?
A: An attractive woman to the waist, but a monster below the waist.
3. Which route was Aeneas advised to take in order to bypass Scylla?
A: To skirt Sicily in a long arc rounding the Cape Pachynus.
4. What is the name of the prophetess Aeneas must seek out at the city of Cumae and Avernus’ haunted lakes and murmuring forests?
5. Who is dubbed worthy to wed Venus?
6. What was the sailing Trojans’ first omen?
A: Four white horses on the grasslands.
7. What is Charybdis?
A: The name of dangerous cliffs Helenus warned the Trojans to avoid.
8. Who appears to the Trojans out of the woods, begging for mercy?
A: A starving, ship-wrecked man of Greek nationality.
9. What monster does the Greek stranger warn the Trojans about?
10. What is the Latin word for “fate?”
11. Which god acts as Aeneas’ enemy?
12. What does the Latin word “penates” mean?
A: Household gods.
13. What does the Latin word “pietas” mean?
A: Devotion, dutifulness.
14. What is the Latin word for “rage” or “fury?”
15. What does the Latin word “gravitas” mean?
A: Weightiness, gravity.
16. The gods were pleased to crush the power of?
A: Priam and Asia
17. who maintained A great weight in gold for Priam?
A: the king of Thrace
18. Who stole the gold?
19. Whats the name of the sacred island loved by Nereids’ mother, Aegean Neptune?
20. which god told them to,” search for your ancient mother. There your house, the line of Aeneas, will rule all parts of the world..”
21. What animal was sacrificed to noble Apollo and Neptune?
A: A Bull
22. What’s the name of the famous Cretan Prince
23. In book 3, where are the shipmates racing to?
24. Who denies the fields of Dicte: Crete?
25. What is the name of the place with this descrption, “Land of the West, an Ancient land, mighty in war and rich in soil?
26. What is the Greek name for the Turning Islands?
27. who were the Trojans fighting while they were on the island of Strophades?
28. Which group of people constructed the Trojan Horse?
A: The Greeks
29. Which goddess supposedly gifted the wooden Horse to the Trojans ?
30. Who requests Aeneas to tell begin story ?
31. Who was devoured by two giant serpents ?
32. Who appeared to Aeneas in a dream to inform him of Troy’s destruction?
33. Who slaughtered King Priam ?
34. Who does Venus stop Aeneas from killing?
35. Who tells Aeneas to flee the city of Troy?
35. Who does Aeneas carry on his back while fleeing Troy?
36. What happened to Aeneas’ wife Creusa ?
A: She died and became formed as a spirit.
37. What did the eagle of Jove’s mane of hair give off?
A: Ambrosial Fragrance
38. Where was Dido the Tyre building Juno a mighty temple?
A: Deep in the heart of Carthage
39. Who was Aeneas waiting for in the great temple?
A: Queen Juno
40. What is the name of the King of Sicily?
41. Who’s has brimmed the heavy golden bowl that the Queen calls for?
A: Belus and Belus’ sons